Two-Pronged Growth: Acquisitions & Development Drilling
|52 Week Range||$3.53-$13.15|
|Avg. Daily Vol. (30 day)||347,655|
|Shares Out (MM)||87.7|
|Market Cap (MM)||$1,010|
|Enterprise Value ($MM)||$1,327|
|Revenue TTM (MM)||$312|
|Annual Dividend/Yield||NA / NA|
|Fiscal Year End||December|
- Earthstone Energy is a growth-oriented independent oil and gas company. The core asset base consists of ~137,400 net acres in the Permian Basin. The company also owns a smaller position in the Eagle Ford trend in south Texas.
- Management’s approach to build value is to pursue accretive acquisitions that can enhance the company’s inventory of development drilling projects and position it to deliver capital-efficient growth while maintaining a strong balance sheet.
- Earthstone closed out a transformational 2021 with the December 16 announcement of an agreement to acquire the assets of Chisholm Energy Holding, LLC in a cash and stock deal valued at $604 million. The acquisition, expected to close in 1Q22, adds scale and inventory by providing Earthstone with a Delaware Basin asset position and, importantly, is expected to increase free cash flow generation in 2022.
- Earthstone plans to run four rigs in 2022, two each in the Midland and Delaware Basins. The company will control multi-year development inventories in both basins.
- Earthstone’s preliminary FY22 estimates put production in a range of 44–48 MBOE/d, 88% above our FY21E of 24.5 MBOE/d. Actual FY22 production will differ subject to the Chisholm closing date.
- We have laid out FY22 estimates based on a production profile of 42.8 MBOE/d (assuming a March 31, 2022 closing date for Chisholm), which is 75% higher than our FY21 estimate, on a capital program of $375 million. Using NYMEX reference prices of $70/bbl for oil and $3.75/MMBtu for natural gas, we estimate the company could generate $532 million of EBITDAX in FY22. Our estimates imply that the company could comfortably fund the capital program, generating excess cash flow and ending 2022 with a leverage ratio of 1.0x.
- Earthstone is trading at 3.2x our FY22E EBITDAX, assuming a March 31, 2022 Chisholm close. Using a pro forma PV-10 (1) estimate prepared by management, which incorporated strip prices as of October 1, 2021, we estimate that Earthstone is trading at a 30% discount to a $16.52/share net asset value.
Earthstone Energy, Inc. is an independent energy company headquartered in The Woodlands, Texas. The company is engaged in the acquisition, development, and operation of oil and natural gas properties. The company’s primary assets are in the Midland Basin of west Texas and in the Eagle Ford Trend of south Texas. 3Q21 production averaged 25.8 MBOE/d. In December 2021, Earthstone announced an agreement to acquire assets in the northern portion of the Delaware Basin in New Mexico. The acquisition is expected to close during 1Q22. The company’s website is www.earthstoneenergy.com.
(1) PV-10 value for the Chisholm assets includes value for proved developed reserves and wells in progress as of November 1, 2021 and excludes any value for proved undeveloped reserves.
Earthstone Energy is a growth-oriented independent oil and gas company. The core asset base consists of ~137,400 net acres in the Permian Basin. The company also owns a smaller position in the Eagle Ford trend in south Texas.
Water Tower Research (“WTR”) is a professional publisher of investment research reports on public companies and, to a lesser extent, private firms (“the Companies”). WTR provides investor-focused content and digital distribution strategies designed to help companies communicate with investors.
WTR is not a registered investment adviser or a broker/dealer nor does WTR provide investment banking services. WTR operates as an exempt investment adviser under the so called “publishers’ exemption” from the definition of investment adviser under Section 202(a)(11) of the Investment Advisers Act of 1940. WTR does not provide investment ratings / recommendations or price targets on the companies it reports on. Readers are advised that the research reports are published and provided solely for informational purposes and should not be construed as an offer to sell or the solicitation of an offer to buy securities or the rendering of investment advice. The information p...