Refreshing Estimates on Culp, Inc. for 1Q22 Report
|52 Week Range||$11.41-$17.88|
|Avg. Daily Vol. (30 day)||23,900|
|Shares Out (MM)||12.3|
|Market Cap (MM)||$160.7|
|Enterprise Value ($MM)||$134.60|
|Revenue TTM (MM)||$318|
|Annual Dividend/Yield||$0.44 / 3.7%|
|Fiscal Year End||April|
- Culp reported results for its fiscal 1Q22 beat our estimates for several key metrics: (1) sales, (2) operating income, and (3) earnings per share. In Tables 1 & 2: Review of 1Q2 we provide a detailed comparison of 1Q22. We also show our model, refreshing our quarterly and annual estimates.
- Consolidated 1Q22 sales were $83.0 MM, up 28.8% versus 1Q21. 1Q22 consolidated sales were 17.4% greater than 1Q20 sales the year before the pandemic. By our math, 1Q22 sales accounted for ~$0.03 improvement Y/Y in adjusted EPS. 1Q22 sales also beat our $77.4 MM estimate (~$0.01 EPS beat versus our estimate).
- 1Q22 operating income grew Y/Y to $3.3 MM versus $1.9 MM in 1Q21 and versus our $2.9 MM estimate. 1Q22 operating margin was 4.0% versus 2.9% in 1Q21 and our 3.8% estimate. The improved operating profit boosted Y/Y EPS by $0.07 and to our estimate by ~$0.02. Expense control and sales growth aided operating profit and margin. Inflation, however, pressured gross margin.
- Versus both the 1Q21 $0.08 non-GAAP EPS and our $0.13 estimate, 1Q22 EPS was $0.18. A lower-than-forecast tax rate aided the beat versus our estimate (28.7% vs. 35%; +~$0.02 / share). A lower-than-forecast other expense also accounted for ~$0.01 per share.
- Drilling down by segment, Culp's upholstery fabric (CUF) segment sales grew by 41.0% versus 1Q21 to ~$40.0 and by 25.5% versus 1Q20. CUF sales beat our $36.2 million estimate by ~$3.8 million. Inflation caused CUF operating profit to miss our estimate by ~$450 K. The miss was in gross margin; operating expenses were well controlled.
- Culp's mattress fabric segment (CHF) 1Q22 sales were ~$43.1 MM, +19.3% versus 1Q21 and 10.8% above 1Q20. Versus last year, CHF operating profit grew by ~96% to $3.6 MM. CHF operating profit beat our estimate by ~$830 K. Irrespective, inflation impacted CHF results.
- Despite uncertainties, management was encouraged by its product-driven strategy, expanding reach, and global platform resilience. It expects 2Q22 sales and operating income to be flat to 1Q22 results. While a moderation versus earlier expectations, it still expects 2022 net sales to rise "moderately" +8% to 12%) and operating income to increase "significantly," by 20%-25%, Y/Y.
ESTIMATES AND VALUATION
Culp reported results for its fiscal 1Q22 beat our estimates for several key metrics: (1) sales, (2) operating income, and (3) earnings per share. In Tables 1 & 2: Review of 1Q2 we provide a detailed comparison of 1Q22. We also attach our model, refreshing our quarterly and annual estimates.
Water Tower Research (“WTR”) is a professional publisher of investment research reports on public companies and, to a lesser extent, private firms (“the Companies”). WTR provides investor-focused content and digital distribution strategies designed to help companies communicate with investors.
WTR is not a registered investment adviser or a broker/dealer nor does WTR provide investment banking services. WTR operates as an exempt investment adviser under the so called “publishers’ exemption” from the definition of investment adviser under Section 202(a)(11) of the Investment Advisers Act of 1940. WTR does not provide investment ratings / recommendations or price targets on the companies it reports on. Readers are advised that the research reports are published and provided solely for informational purposes and should not be construed as an offer to sell or the solicitation of an offer to buy securities or the rendering of investment advice. The information p...