3Q23 Results: Revenue Grows 51.7% Y/Y as Order Activity and Gross Margin Shoot Up
|52 Week Range||$0.44-$1.58|
|Avg. Daily Vol. (30 day)||139,854|
|Shares Out (MM)||56.21|
|Market Cap (MM)||$30.92|
|Revenue TTM (MM)||$2.51|
|Fiscal Year End||April|
- Revenue grew 51.7% Y/Y to $0.7 million, compared with $0.5 million in 3Q22. Growth in the top-line figure was primarily driven by sales of WAM-V autonomous vehicles and better margins derived from Strategic Consulting Services. Complete results can be accessed here.
- A key driver of the revenue trajectory is the order activity, which is up 111% to $3.8 million YTD, with significant additional order activity in various stages of negotiation. OPTT is optimistic about reaching $9 million in orders by the end of FY23.
- For the first nine months of FY23 (9M23), OPTT’s Strategic Consulting Services division contributed ~38% ($0.6 million) of total revenue ($1.7 million); 82% and 4% of total YTD revenue came from the North and South American markets, respectively, while the remainder came from Asia and Australia.
- Gross margin rose 41.8% Y/Y to 18.5% from -23.3% in 3Q22. The MAR business and the higher-margin Strategic Consulting Services have driven the improvement in gross margin.
- Operating expenses increased 25.4% Y/Y to $6.8 million due to incremental investments in people (ex., expanding the sales team) and systems to support growth and partly because of the timing of projects and programs. OPTT recorded a net loss of $6.1 million (-$0.11/share), compared with a net loss of $5.5 million (-$0.10/share) in 3Q22.
- As of January 31, 2023, OPTT had total assets worth ~$59.1 million, mainly cash, unrestricted cash, cash equivalents, and short-term investments (~$41.1 million). Contract liabilities (~$1.3 million) and accrued expenses (~$1.6 million) constituted most of the total liabilities of ~$6.1 million. OPTT has accumulated a deficit of $270.5 million and no bank debt.
Revenue grew 51.7% Y/Y to $0.7 million, compared with $0.5 million in 3Q22. Growth in the top-line figure was primarily driven by sales of WAM-V autonomous vehicles and better margins derived from Strategic Consulting Services.
Water Tower Research (“WTR”) is a professional publisher of investment research reports on public companies and, to a lesser extent, private firms (“the Companies”). WTR provides investor-focused content and digital distribution strategies designed to help companies communicate with investors.
WTR is not a registered investment adviser or a broker/dealer nor does WTR provide investment banking services. WTR operates as an exempt investment adviser under the so called “publishers’ exemption” from the definition of investment adviser under Section 202(a)(11) of the Investment Advisers Act of 1940. WTR does not provide investment ratings / recommendations or price targets on the companies it reports on. Readers are advised that the research reports are published and provided solely for informational purposes and should not be construed as an offer to sell or the solicitation of an offer to buy securities or the rendering of investment advice. The information p...