3Q21 Results: +247% Revenue Growth Fueled by Bitcoin Mining; Management Raises FY21 Guidance
|52 Week Range||$6.92-$42.60|
|Avg. Daily Vol. (30 day)||1,534,811|
|Shares Out (MM)||35.6|
|Market Cap (MM)||$381.50|
|Insiders Own %||8.4%|
|Short Int./% of Float||4,080k / 12.4%|
|Debt to Equity||0.5%|
|Revenue TTM (MM)||$24.2|
|Fiscal Year End||September|
- On August 16, 2021, CleanSpark reported its 3Q21 earnings results. The company delivered strong revenue growth fueled by bitcoin mining, but missed consensus estimates for the quarter. The stock traded down -15.1% post-earnings and is currently trading at ~1.9x 2022E sales.
- Consolidated revenue in the quarter was up +246.5% y/y and +46.8% q/q. Bitcoin mining grew +28.8% q/q, energy accelerated +159.6% q/q, and other revenues increased +34.0%. All-in-all, revenue saw positive momentum sequentially.
- Revenue acceleration flowed through to gross profit, which saw +13.8x growth y/y to $8.1 million, although gross margin contracted -13.4 pp q/q. Adjusted EBITDA increased +$3.4 million y/y to $2.3 million or 19.3% of revenue.
- Net income fell by -$8.1 million y/y to -$16.7 million, mainly driven by significantly higher payroll expenses related to non-recurring executive compensation. Professional fees saw an uptick from legal services to resolve outstanding litigation. D&A also increased as more equipment was used for data center and bitcoin mining applications. Marketing expenses drove higher G&A as well.
- The company ended the quarter with cash on hand of $22.2 million and $10.4 million of bitcoin (~301.4 bitcoins) on the balance sheet. Debt outstanding was $1.4 million, comprised of lease liabilities. Cash decreased from the prior quarter mainly due to increased deposits on bitcoin mining equipment and capex. Importantly, CleanSpark’s hashrate capacity now exceeds 820 PH/s or 6-7 bitcoins per day.
- Management raised its FY21 revenue guidance by +$3.0 million and now expects revenue of $49-63 million. This is comprised of $38-48 million in bitcoin mining revenue, $9-12 million in energy revenue, and $2.0 million in other services revenue.
- Our prior content on CLSK can be accessed HERE.
On August 16, 2021, CleanSpark reported its 3Q21 earnings results. The company delivered strong revenue growth fueled by bitcoin mining, but missed consensus estimates for the quarter. The stock traded down -15.1% post-earnings and is currently trading at ~1.9x 2022E sales.
Water Tower Research (“WTR”) is a professional publisher of investment research reports on public companies and, to a lesser extent, private firms (“the Companies”). WTR provides investor-focused content and digital distribution strategies designed to help companies communicate with investors.
WTR is not a registered investment adviser or a broker/dealer nor does WTR provide investment banking services. WTR operates as an exempt investment adviser under the so called “publishers’ exemption” from the definition of investment adviser under Section 202(a)(11) of the Investment Advisers Act of 1940. WTR does not provide investment ratings / recommendations or price targets on the companies it reports on. Readers are advised that the research reports are published and provided solely for informational purposes and should not be construed as an offer to sell or the solicitation of an offer to buy securities or the rendering of investment advice. The information p...